Expedition Rangers is the Royal Rangers group for boys in 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Expedition Rangers participate in a variety of activities of common interest to teen guys as they make friends, learn valuable skills, learn leadership, and grow into the young man God created them to be.
Expedition Rangers features an advancement trail that provides boys with many opportunities to experience new things and have fun with their friends. Boys learn about topics such as Auto Mechanics, Fly Fishing, Rock Climbing, or Graphic Arts. Each Expedition Rangers group chooses the topics they will study from a list of more than eighty silver skill merit options, or over two hundred skill merits of all color categories.
New Membership Requirements
When a boy first joins Royal Rangers he will be required to complete following New Member Requirements before earning the first step of their advancement trail. Please note that the Parent’s Guide to Preventing Child & Substance Abuse is no longer required reading for membership.
- Be a boy in the 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in school, and be less than 18 years of age.
- Complete your outpost’s requirements for new members, if any.
- Recite from memory the Royal Rangers Pledge, Code, Motto, meaning of the points of the Emblem, and the Golden Rule.
- Attend three regular Expedition Rangers meetings.
Expedition Rangers Advancement Trail
The Expedition Rangers Advancement Trail consists of the completion of “merits” and “Spirit Challenges”. A merit is an award earned by completing a specific list of requirements. A Spirit Challenge is the Expedition Rangers form of group Bible study. Each step along the Expedition Rangers Advancement Trail requires the completion of a specified number of merits and Spirit Challenges:
- SKILL MERITS represent the fun things Expedition Rangers can do and learn. These merits are typically taught as part of the weekly meeting but can also be completed at home or with friends outside the meeting.
- LEADERSHIP MERITS are earned periodically with your group and typically involve team building activities and personal development.
- SPIRIT CHALLENGES are the Bible lessons completed as part of the weekly Expedition Rangers meeting.
Additional details on the Expedition Rangers Advancement Trail and related topics can be found by following the links below.
“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)