Discovery Rangers is the Royal Rangers group for boys in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. Discovery Rangers enjoy many great adventures as they make new friends, learn new skills, develop leadership, and grow into the young man God created them to be.
Discovery Rangers features an advancement trail that provides boys with a variety of opportunities to experience new things and have fun with their friends. Boys learn about topics such as First Aid skills, Rope Craft, Art, Fishing, or Model Rocketry. Each Discovery Rangers group chooses the topics they will study from a list of more than fifty blue skill merit options, or over two hundred skill merits of all color categories.
New Membership Requirements
When a boy first joins Royal Rangers he will be required to complete following New Member Requirements before earning the first step of their advancement trail. Please note that the Parent’s Guide to Preventing Child & Substance Abuse is no longer required reading for membership.
- Be a boy in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade in school.
- Complete your outpost’s requirements for new members, if any.
- Recite from memory the Royal Rangers Pledge, Code, Motto, meaning of the points of the Emblem, and the Golden Rule.
- Attend three regular Discovery Rangers meetings.
Discovery Rangers Advancement Trail
The Discovery Rangers Advancement Trail primarily consists of the completion of “merits”. A merit is an award earned by completing a specific list of requirements. Each step along the Discovery Rangers Advancement Trail requires the completion of a specified number of three types of merits:
- BIBLE MERITS are earned by completing a specified number of Bible lessons. One Bible lesson is typically taught each week as part of the weekly Discovery Rangers meeting.
- SKILL MERITS represent the fun things Discovery Rangers can do and learn. These merits are typically taught as part of the weekly meeting but can also be completed at home or with friends outside the meeting.
- LEADERSHIP MERITS are earned periodically with your group and typically involve team building activities and personal development.
Additional details on the Discovery Rangers Advancement Trail and related topics can be found by following the links below.
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV)