Advancement awards recognize boys for their accomplishments achieved through the Royal Rangers Advancement System. Each age group features a unique system of requirements & recognition referred to as an advancement trail. Boys are recognized for meeting certain requirements by receiving awards representing a series of advancement steps. All advancement steps are represented by a patch worn on the awards vest or on the right sleeve of the uniform. Advancement steps representing annual milestone accomplishments are also represented by a medal, ribbon, and neck medallion.
The award insignia for most advancement awards may be ordered directly from our online store. However, due to their significance in the program, some awards require that an application be submitted to the national Royal Rangers office for review and approval. This restriction applies to all forms of award insignia for these awards including patches, medals, ribbons, neck medallions, and coins. Replacement insignia may be obtained by contacting the national office at RRawards@ag.org. Any awards not listed here are unrestricted and may be purchased directly from our online store.
Additional information concerning advancement awards can be found on the Advancement System page.
Follow the links below to apply for these awards:
Details concerning the advancement trails of each age group can be found on the advancement pages for each group below.
- Ranger Kids Elk Award – no application required
- Ranger Kids Wolverine Award – no application required
- Ranger Kids Cougar Award – no application required
- Ranger Kids Gold Trail Award – application
- Expedition Rangers E1 Award – use Multiple Recipient Award Application
- Expedition Rangers E2 Award – use Multiple Recipient Award Application
- Expedition Rangers E3 Award – application
- Expedition Rangers Gold Buffalo Award – application
- Gold Medal of Achievement – GMA application and Merit / Honors application
Skill merits serve to build confidence and competency through the development of skills in a variety of subjects. Completion of a specified number of skill merits is required for each advancement step in Discovery, Adventure, and Expedition Rangers. Skill merits are classified into three color categories, with BLUE representing basic skills, GREEN representing intermediate skills, and SILVER representing advanced skills.
The following links provide access to pages where all skill merit requirements can be found. Leader’s teaching materials for skill merits, as well as patch artwork for certificates, can be found in TRaCclub, the Royal Rangers online resource delivery system.
Leadership Merits are a required advancement component for all Discovery, Adventure, and Expedition Rangers advancement trails. A Leadership Merit is earned by meeting the following requirements:
- Complete (4) leadership lessons from any leadership lesson set found in TracClub,
- Participate in a group service project
Upon meeting these requirements, a boy receives the next leadership merit for his age group. Leadership merits are RED for Discovery Rangers, GOLD for Adventure Rangers, and SKY BLUE for Expedition Rangers. More information on Leadership Merits can be found on our Local Junior Leader Training page. Leaders teaching materials and patch artwork for Leadership Merits are available exclusively through TRaCclub.
Bible Merits & Spirit Challenge Awards
Bible Merits represent the discipleship system for Discovery and Adventure Rangers. A total of 30 Bible merits are available: 15 orange Bible merits for Discovery Rangers and 15 brown Bible merits for Adventure Rangers. A Bible Merit is earned by completing any (8) Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons found in TracClub or any Bible lesson approved by your Pastor.
Spirit Challenge Awards represent the discipleship system for Expedition Rangers. A total of (6) Spirit Challenge Awards are available, each with a different colored border. A Spirit Challenge Award is earned by completing any (25) Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons found in TracClub or any Bible lesson approved by your Pastor.
- 25 Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons = GREEN patch
- 50 Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons = BLUE patch
- 75 Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons = RED patch
- 100 Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons = BRONZE patch
- 125 Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons = SILVER patch
- 150 Bible lessons or Spirit Challenge lessons = GOLD patch
Leaders teaching materials for all Bible Merits and Spirit Challenges can be found in TRaCclub, as well as all award patch artwork. Additional information on Bible merits can be found on the Bible Merits page.
NOTE: Bible merits are not used in Ranger Kids since discipleship material is incorporated directly into the weekly curriculum.